Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Okay, I've been a really big blog slacker lately which I must first apologize for profusely, however, in my defense I've been quite the busy bee in other spheres, most notably moving from Lake Norman to Charlotte, decorating my new condo, discovering IKEA, work, work, working and, most recently, traveling!
- Soho South Cafe: this eclectic and fabulously delicious eatery also doubles as an art gallery that features local creative minds. Decorated in true shabby chic style, Soho is a perfect lunch stop in the heart of the historic district on West Liberty Street. Favorite dishes: try the Middle Eastern Pressed Sandwich, a delightful whirlwind of hummus, spinach, eggplant, tapenade, tomatoes, onion and provolone cheese, all served on a toasted pita and their Tomato-Basil soup. And for dessert? Try a mouth-watering slice of Rustic Apple Gallette.
- Mansion at Forsyth Park: our hotel was an experience in and of itself. The Victorian age home-turned-hotel looks like a castle inside and out. The rooms were stunning, filled with edgy modern decor in bright hues like lipstick pink and electric green. Mansion was located adjacent to a sprawling park full of just-blooming flowers. The walk to downtown Savannah was easy and very beautiful. Other great ammenities to tout include a spa, a five-star restaurant, an art gallery and even a cooking school.
- Savannah's Candy Kitchen: I have two words for you - pecan pralines. These delicious right-out-of-the-oven, melt-in-your-mouth treats were to die for. I'm not ashamed to say that I went back three times for samples of these! Your visit to Savannah is incomplete without a visit to this riverfront shop.
- River Street: Savannah's famous waterfront strip is a hot spot for nightlife, and Saint Patrick's Day was no exception. A number of bars and restaurants line this more tourist-traveled side of town, but with so many options, you're sure to find somewhere to enjoy the views and your company.
- Savannah for St. Pat's: And, of course, visiting Savannah for Saint Patrick's Day is my top recommendation of all! If you're looking for some shenanigans, then look no further than this Southern city's celebration of everything Irish. In fact, it's so much fun that Savannah has already started the countdown for next year's parade, which according to today's count is only 357 days away!